Towing is a very common phenomenon you have observed on the roads. You may also need to tow your car in case of any mishap, or your car breaks down. But the point is, towing is not a hot cake you can relish. It demands certain equipment, effective ways and skills to tow a car safely.
In this blog, we will look at how towing is useful, what are some common ways for towing, how to make initial preparations for towing, and what types of possible errors are there that you should avoid. Lastly, we will go through some important questions regarding towing. Let’s start:
Towing is simply pulling a broken car to a mechanic, a repair centre or at the disposal site in case of an accident. Arranging a tow vehicle for towing your car is helpful in many ways:
- Towing is no less than a blessing in case of any mishap.
- Towing services are reliable, quick and on time.
- They are well-equipped and professionally experienced.
- Towing services offer flexibility for towing all types of small and large vehicles.
- Towing gives you peace of mind about your vehicle recovery.
Ways of Towing a Car
There are different ways of towing a car:
- Towing using a strap/towing rope.
- Towing with the help of a Tow bar.
- Towing on a dolly.
- Towing on a trailer.
Here are some useful tips for using these methods:
Towing Using a Strap/Towing Rope
- First of all, check for the local regulations whether the authorities allow the use of a rope for towing a car.
- If it is allowed, take a strong and reliable rope and inspect it for any damage.
- Find the recovery points on both vehicles. It is located on the back of the towing vehicle and the front of the vehicle to be towed.
- Now, join both ends of the rope or strap to the recovery points of both vehicles.
- Ensure a firm attachment of both ends to the hooks of the vehicle. Slowly move the towing car and check whether the strap can bear the tension.
- If so, continue towing the car safely and slowly.
Using a Tow Bar
- Tow bars are A-like frames that are attached to both vehicles with the help of chains.
- Fix one end of the tow bar with the back hitch of the towing car.
- Likewise, fix the rear ends of the tow bar to the front of the car to be towed.
- Make sure that the chains are used for joining the tow bar with both vehicles.
- Now align both the cars and keep towing the damaged car slowly.
Towing On a Dolly
- Place dolly near the towing vehicle and attach your dolly to the hitch of the towing vehicle.
- Now fasten the dolly and the hitch with strong chains firmly.
- Line up the vehicle to be towed with the dolly and drive it up so that it reaches the lip of the dolly.
- Use a strong strap and fix the tyres of the vehicle to the dolly.
- Release the parking brake in the damaged car and start towing it carefully.
Towing on a Trailer
- Attach the trailer to the back of the towing vehicle and fasten it with chains.
- Drive or push the broken vehicle on the trailer.
- Fix the tyres of the broken vehicle with the trailer hooks to avoid any sloping of the car during towing.
- Now close the back doors or guides of the trailer in the upward position.
- Once you are done with all types of fixing arrangements, start towing the vehicle slowly.
Key Preparations for A Safe Towing
Some important checks should be made before starting towing. These checks include:
- Check the condition of the towing car. It must be in good condition and of greater power. Check its break, engine, lights, etc, so that any issue would not arise during towing.
- Place a clear sign on the vehicle to be towed.
- Also, place a clear sign like a light or an alarm with the towing vehicle so that the driver in the back car can understand his next movement or manoeuvre.
- Ensure that the towing ropes and chains are strong enough to avoid further accidents.
- Before moving, determine your route of moving to evade any confusion.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
- Drivers of both cars must signal each other via appropriate use of light.
- Do not forget to leave the ignition “on” in the broken car so that its steering remains unlocked.
- A driver in the back car should facilitate this towing process.
- The warning triangle should be towed on the back of the car, not on the right or left side.
- Do not fasten the towing rope with the bumpers of the car; instead, attach them via their hooks, designed on their front and back, for this specific purpose.
- Never let your kids or pets sit in the broken car. Take them with you in the towing car.
Can I tow a car on a highway?
No, towing a car on a highway is illegal, unless the car has broken down on a highway.
What is the weight limit of the car to be towed?
You can tow a weight of 3,500kg. This is also known as maximum authorised mass (MAM).
What kind of equipment do I need to tow a car?
You will need a towing strap, safety chains, warning signs or lights and a trailer or a dolly.
Can I tow a truck or a trailer as well?
Yes, you can tow a trailer or a truck, also. Yet, they need specific arrangements and logistic support for safe towing.